Wednesday 3 October 2012

Vintage Star Wars cardboard Death Star Play Centre

Quite probably the coolest Star Wars toy ever, the Death Star Play Centre was released by Palitoy in 1977 and enabled little kids to wield the power of the ultimate force in the galaxy.

Although my childhood space station was sold when I was young I managed to retain the original plans (Princess Leia would be jealous!). I acquired a near complete Death Star from ebay in the early 1990s.

Unfortunately it is missing the canopy, which is really annoying because I was sure my original one had survived the sales, but it would seem along with a few action figure weapons it went missing.

Escape the Stormtroopers!
"The plans are not in the main computer"

Where to park your Millennium Falcon


"Into the garbage shoot, flyboy!"
"what an incredible smell you've discovered!"


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a question and maybe you can help me. I have the New Zealand version. Is this rarer than the Palitoy version or about the same or maybe even less?
    thanks, Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    Thanks for the comment - sorry it took so long to come back to you - I haven't checked on this blog for a while! :o)

    The Palitoy & Toltoys versions were pretty similar (was Toltoys made of a different material?) so from a rariety point of view it probably comes down to where you sell. For example, the cardboard death stars were not available in the U.S. so either version would be rare there. A Toltoys version would also be rare in the UK because only the Palitoy version was available. However, from a UK buyer p.o.v. they may prefer the Palitoy version for their collection as many buyers like to collect the ones they had from their childhood.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete